Hulu Originals is the production arm of Hulu that produces all original shows and movies for the streaming service.
1st Logo (2012-2014?)
Visuals: On a black background, there is the Hulu logo fading in. Then it shines.
Technique: Computer animation.
Audio: The ending theme of the show.
Availability: Seen at the beginning and end of most Hulu Originals from the time.
2nd Logo (2014?-2016)
Visuals: On a black background, a lime-green play-button enters from the left side of the screen, spinning around frantically while making a loop, until landing on the left side of the screen and sliding to the center of the screen, revealing the 2007 Hulu logo in the same color as the play button. All of a sudden, the play button zooms into the screen, revealing "ORIGINALS" (set in Flama typeface) in white next to the Hulu logo. The logo zooms in slightly.
- Not long after, the 2007 Hulu logo was replaced with the 2014 logo.
- A still version exists.
Audio: A short guitar tune with drum beats. Sometimes, it's silent.
Availability: Seen at the beginning (and sometimes end) of most Hulu Originals from the time.
3rd Logo (2016-2021)
Visuals: There is the wall of a building, with palm trees and power lines silhouetted in the background. The letters "ORIGINALS" - made from what appears to be metal - hang from overhanging parts of the building. As the screen zooms out, their silhouettes form the Hulu logo (same as before) to the left of it. Grass can be seen below.
- There is a more common ending variant where we see the already formed logo set at night. The letters teeter around slightly.
- Starting in 2018, the "ORIGINALS" text is set in the Graphik typeface.
Technique: CGI by Loyalkaspar.
Audio: A soothing 4-note piano/guitar tune with strings in the background; the clinking of the metal letters are also audible. The closing variant has the first 2 notes sped-up and the guitar is not heard.
Availability: Strangely, when the opening variant was changed to the next logo in 2019, the closing variant was not changed.
- Seen on Hulu originals from 2016 to 2021, except on Star prints as well as international prints of shows such as Little Fires Everywhere and seasons 1-2 of Love Victor and Solar Opposites, among others as they remove this logo at the end, as well as in countries where Wounds and Run is on Netflix as this logo was replaced by the Netflix Originals logo due to Netflix handling them internationally.
- Sometimes the closing variant can be kept at the end of Star prints and some international prints of some of their original movies and shows such as PEN15, among others.
4th Logo (2019-2021)
Visuals: There is the letters in the Hulu logo fade in and fly up, in a brighter green color than the 2nd logo. Then they move down and come together. The logo then zooms in and a green rectangle border zooms in. The logo fades out after a few seconds.
- A later version of this logo has the border slightly smaller and it fades out once it is at a comfortable distance.
- In 2020, for Hulu originals, "ORIGINALS" was added below the Hulu logo.
Technique: 2D computer animation, by ManVsMachine.
Audio: A re-orchestration of the previous logo's theme. The first two notes are slowed down, while the last two notes are faster to sync with the letters coming together. Drum beats are also audible on each note. Composed by Zelig.
Availability: Seen at the beginning of all Hulu original programs from 2019 to 2021.
5th Logo (April 5, 2021-)
Visuals: It starts with a black background, then a multi-colored border is seen rising in intensity. It then cuts to the letters in the Hulu logo appearing to the 4-beat mnemonic. Then, a bordered rectangle appears around the Hulu logo along with a blue gradient on the bottom right. The rectangle then rapidly zooms in towards the camera, and the logo fades out.
- Like the previous logo, for Hulu originals, the word "ORIGINALS" wipes in under the Hulu logo. This time, it's bold and in white. Also, the gradient background is already visible.
- The closing variant has the camera zoom out from the vessel, and then the Hulu logo appears to the 4-beat mnemonic while "ORIGINALS" wipes in. The multi-colored border is seen for a split-second and the background flashes after the vessel zooms out.
- At the beginning of Aftershock and the trailer for Boston Strangler, the logo is reversed. The latter has the logo shortened to the vessel's animation.
- A short variant exists for both the normal and originals versions.
Technique: Simple, yet effective computer animation. Done by DixonBaxi.
Audio: The sound of an audience talking, followed by 4 rapid beat sounds, a click sound and then 2 string notes, the last note playing when the screen zooms in through the rectangle. Like the previous logo, it's composed by Zelig.
Audio Variant: The closing variant omits the audience sounds, the low string note plays when the screen zooms out from the vessel, and the click sound and string notes are heard faster.
Audio Trivia: The music of this logo is officially known internally as the "Sonic ID".
- Seen at the beginning and end of all Hulu original programs from 2021 to the present.
- The closing variant debuted on Nine Perfect Strangers.
- It plasters the 4th logo on current prints of the 2020 revival of Animaniacs, but is removed from both the beginning and end of the episodes on the Season 2 DVD release.
- This logo does not appear on Star prints as well as international prints to some of their shows and movies as they remove this logo.
- Also, this logo was plastered by the Star Originals logo at the beginning of Star prints of shows produced by Disney's division 20th Television such as Love Victor and removed this logo at the end.
- However, a similar case happened on the Star print of Pam & Tommy as this gets replaced by the Lionsgate Television logo (even though Lionsgate never produced it!).
- Sometimes just like the third logo, it can be kept at the end of Star prints as well as international prints of some of their movies and shows.
- Also appears on movie trailers, starting with Prey and Boston Strangler, often preceding a studio logo.
Hulu IDs (April 6, 2022-)
These are the idents for the first batch.
Feels Like Hulu
Kero Kero Furugi
Be The Flame
Visuals: Depends on the variant, but these usually feature a Hulu logo drawn in the style of the variant, which can be seen below.
- Fuzz Machine: On a desk with many vials containing multicolored liquids in the background, there are smaller cans containing green liquids stored. A hand (played by the ID's creator Andrea Love) puts one of them in a steaming vial. The liquid is then pumped into a large machine which is turned on by the hand. The machine them emits smoke. Cutting to a scene with a Tesla coil-like mechanism with machinery and gears in the background, said green-colored steam is emitted out from a pipe underneath the coils, which then turn on, forming the Hulu logo.
- Feels Like Hulu: Unknown.
- Con Sabor: On a blue Hulu-like background, an abstract woman and man dance together. Then the background turns into a dark blue background. They continue dancing as a green light goes through them. Finally it changes back to the previous background with a woman in the same style dancing. The blue background then turns into the Hulu logo, with the background dark blue and the logo blue. As she continues dancing, the background turns blue and the logo turns dark blue, eventually turning back to the dark blue background with the blue Hulu logo, Then the logo turns black and the background turns green. Finally the colors turn inverted as she stops dancing.
- Extraordinary Supper: A green beam is initially seen, as it is revealed that it is beamed out from a dimly-lit group of flying saucers. The scene lights up to reveal more of the saucers' details. Various antennas can be seen turning on, along with various circular screens with colorful displays moving to the beat of the music. The logo zooms in to the top of the saucer, as one of the displays turn into the Hulu logo, along with cyan circles that ripple ala the third Cartoon Network Productions logo, all in sync to the Sonic ID theme. The circles later disappear, leaving the Hulu logo.
- Tiny TV: Unknown.
- Kero Kero Furugi: Unknown.
- Be The Flame: Unknown.
- Golden Hour: Unknown.
- Prelude: The screen cuts to a comic book world looking at all the environments. A robot walks to a simple shape, with more comic book manner. We then see a square as it stops walking. The screen pans to the logo in a sketchy comic book manner inside a burst, which is surrounded by various comic covers and panels.
- Ponpokko-Ponnchi: Unknown.
- Logo Collage: Unknown.
- Hulu in the Machine: Unknown.
- Is This Magic?: Unknown.
- Press Clay: Unknown.
- Dynamic Duo: Unknown.
- Mixed Media: Unknown.
- Rainbow Morning: Unknown.
- Arthur: Unknown.
- The Fourth Course: Unknown.
- Fontster Mash: Unknown.
Trivia: These were shortlisted at the 2023 Clio Awards for animation, but didn't win. The "for your consideration" reel they did for the award (here) includes some behind-the-scenes footage. The IDs were shortlisted again for the 2023 Clio Entertainment Awards and, that time, won two Gold Clios, one for being quality television bumpers and the other for identity.
Technique: Depends on the variant.
Audio: Depends on the variant.
Availability: The first batch was first teased on April 4th, 2022 and debuted two days later on Twitter and YouTube on April 6th. The second batch was introduced on May 26, 2022. Oddly, they do not seem to play in the actual app.